Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Contrite Heart

Our culture isn't huge on exhibiting or encouraging grace. Though forgiving in moderation, our society tells us there is usually a breaking point, where there aren't any more chances, and enough is enough. I'm not encouraging any type of consistently unhealthy relationship, but I am certain that if God were to have this attitude, we'd all be out of luck.
We have a God who loves us endlessly, in spite of our consistent short comings. The Bible tells us "His mercies are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:22), and also, when we confess our sins and turn from them, that "as far as the east is from the west, so far has [God] removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:12).
This was the hardest thing for me to understand. My tendency is to want justice for those who do wrong, so when I wrong my God? The last thing I think is that His mercy is new for me every morning. All I can think is "I've screwed up in the same way I've done for the last half of my life. Why would God want anything to do with me right now?" With certain struggles, all it takes is one occurrence, one slip up, and any steps of progress I've made feel like they've been wiped away. I don't feel like I deserve His help.
So often, I've felt I have to clean myself up, get a few more good days under my belt, then approach Jesus. This is not true. God has recently shown me that it takes a genuine decision in my heart to change, and He's already there, ready to make the trip with me. When all I had to do was, in the midst of my struggle, choose God's desire instead of my own selfish desire.
But God's grace isn't my free pass to do whatever I want. The key is choosing His will. If I constantly choose my own desires, ignoring what God's Word says, then I come back when I'm done and ask His forgiveness- it doesn't mean anything.
Psalm 51:17 says, "A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." I love this verse so much because it reminds me that I must first bring my heart to God. It takes me coming before Him, repentant and ready to change. And once I do approach, I can have confidence in His reply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God has been teaching me about repentance too. Its so funny how our pride is so scared to be broken but how sweet brokenness is at the hands of mercy *gleeeee*