Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Not About Me

I was talking with a friend today about handling tough situations, and learned something I had kind of already "learned" (Some things take a couple tries, I guess). Nobody really has it all together. I know this logically, but I still catch myself thinking, "Gosh, so-and-so must know how to deal with this, they must know exactly what to do." Yet, then God gives me a reality check and shows me they are just as human as I am.
I don't know why it's so easy to focus on how well others are doing, yet nitpick about the little things you may have done that aren't perfect. I'm not really a worrier, but these thoughts do cross my mind. They don't stay there too long, but they still pop up. I find myself wondering why I can't say the right thing or do they right thing at the right time.
Then, it hits me how much those sentences contain I, I, I.
Our high school group at my church introduced a cool theme over the summer "I am 3". Meaning first comes God, then comes your neighbors, then yourself. It's a God-honoring, Biblical way to live.I'm not talking about being or doormat or letting people use you, but being a servant. First, to our Heavenly Father, seeking what will glorify Him. Second, asking God to fill us up with His Spirit and love, so we can in turn fill up others with love and encouragement.
God has given me opportunities lately to step out of my comfort zone, and to stop worrying about ME doing the right thing. Instead of thinking about how a situation makes me feel, asking God to show me how I can bring Him glory. How I can show comfort to another person, regardless of how I may be nervous or apprehensive. We get so caught up in our own feelings and thoughts, everything else sort of slips away and becomes unimportant.
But when we can just focus on Jesus, He is so good at sending away our anxieties and fears! Praise God that He is so gracious to give us numerous opportunities to do this.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: